December 2, 2008

December Diaries

December has come in on a real sombre note after last weeks incidents at Mumbai. Someone rightly commented about this entire tragedy -

"Terrorists come, not only in boats
They also come asking for votes"

If there is anything to be glad about, it is that this tragic event "seems" to have woken our sleeping, vote-hungry, callous and repulsive politicians. Finally!!!! Or am I being too optimistic. Only time will tell.

In B-school application updates, ever since submitting ISB I had been considering applying to a couple of top B-schools (M7 perhaps). My heart was set on Wharton, Stanford and Kellogg for various reasons. Little really to seperate one from the other. But the reality is that I have just about a month to submit these applications in time for R2. Finally, I chose 2 in Kellogg and Stanford GSB. I left out Wharton primarily because it seemed the most competitive when I researched its current (R1) interview invited candidates and rejected souls. But doing 2 applications would mean almost 10 essays within a span of about 40 days. Nopes, I aint superman to do that either. It wouldnt be practical to apply to both, hence left out Kellogg for my research on its program is still relatively raw, to be honest.

Hence, I'll be applying to only 1 more school in R2 - Stanford GSB. On the basis of numbers alone its the most competitive school to get into. This may seem crazy, but I'll just follow Derrick Bolton's advice of believing in yourself and hoping his team will believe in me! (BTW here is some good application advice from Derrick and Sharon @ Stanford GSB, published on BW some years ago)

So the tone is set for December..... time to get started with 4 more essays. And while at that, try to keep updated on possible interview questions, in case Cornell and ISB want to talk! Any advice???

4 comments:

Prashant said...

Cool... Stanford is a great place.. And if you happen to meet Jorge Cham there, do say my "Hi" :)

ATB!

MBAlmighty said...

Thanks man! Ill convey your regards! Hey BTW, maybe we can follow him and come up with our own MBAComics! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Stan is, of course, the place to B! But may be, it'll be a gud idea to add at least 1 more school..I too am getting confused over my plan B.. :-|

MBAlmighty said...

Yea mission, I really do want to add 1 more school. But the truth is Im pretty late in the process, and to meet any R2 deadline I cant product 2 solid applications. Hence chose one only till Jan 1st week.... I was contemplating Haas R3. But then, getting in in R3 is probably an even bigger rarity.....