November 27, 2008

The sad truth

Mumbai has been attacked, ripped apart almost - thats the sad truth of the day.

Its a city I identify with most; not only because I was born there, or because I was educated there, or because most of my family and friends are there. I identify with it because it is a part of my soul. I have learnt how to cope up with things and not to let unplanned events ruin your plans - something that defines the persona of every Mumbaikar. Be it riots or rains or, people will venture out to goto work, help others and look forward to the train-rush the next day.

Some might argue that thats the very weakness of Mumbaikars - we just "move on" with life. Right or wrong, I dont know. The city taught me that, and thats how I shall always be, adaptibility is in my veins. If anything needs to be changed, it is the votebank politics that has crippled my city. It doesnt surprise me then, that terrorists enter Mumbai and target Americans, Britishers and Isarelis alongwith Indians. Hopefully now our political parties come together unanimosuly.

Today, 3 places that got targetted reminded me of my college days. Watching a movie at Metro, grabbing a beer at Cafe Mondegar or at 'Cafe Leopold', and then feasting on some kabas at 'Bade Miya' and its neighbor 'Baghdadi' were the norm after exams. Today, Leopold lies soaked in blood, Metro lies deserted, and Bade Miya is found with RDX. Thats the sad truth.

Tomorrow is a new day, and Mumbai will rise and be running again as usual. But those killed - men, women, children, cops, soldiers will not rise. I hope the terrorists dont as well.

No comments: