November 14, 2008

Cornelled

My first submit of the season, my first submit ever. Cornell has been submitted, and now I officially join the bandwagon of applicants waiting to hear back from schools.


Lessons learnt from this submission -

1. I was so keenly waiting all day to press that SUBMIT button. Well turns out, Cornell application doesnt have a "SUBMIT" button per se. The moment I paid my application fees, I got a nice Thank You screen saying my application had been submitted! I was like.. "whaaaattt!!! whereesss my submit button???" I wonder if ISB has one?

2. Writing a resume for b-schools takes time!!! I started at 11pm with a supposedly completed resume, ended at around 4.30am! Well, I already had a resume ready. But then I came across some pretty helpful resume tips and realized what I must add. All you techie-applicants out there - usually we folks always write software languages known in the resume. Did you write these in the resume? I did, but condensed it a lot.

3. Filling in all the activities, work-experience sections takes some serious thought and time. Never underestimate the effort required to fill in these sections. If you would concentrate on the essays and resume, but these sections too would hold good value.

4. Essay formatting can go for a toss in these application submission tools. I wrote my essays in Word, but when I pasted them into the application 2 things happened:

  • All quotes ' " etc got converted to question marks??? I didnt realise this at first, only when I took a printout, the obvious errors resurfaced.

  • I had used some " - " in my essays. In Word, these did not count towards the word-limits, but when i pasted it in the application editor, and back into Word..... the longer dash (dont know the technical name) got converted to a shorter dash " - " and this one is counted as a word. So all my essays suddenly went over limits. Has anyone else come across this? Anyways, I simply removed all these dashes and submitted within the limits.

As per BW's Cornell forum, looks like 250+ applications have already been submitted in R1 for AMBA. Now starts R2, probably Cornell is amongst the first R2 deadlines amongst some of the top schools. Assuming a same number apply till R3, and Cornell chooses ~60 for its AMBA class, thats still around 10% intake. Doesnt look easy at all!!!

Anyways I've done my bit, time to move on. ISB beckons! Good Luck to all you folks awaiting ISB R1 results! May the force be with you.

- MBAlmighty

3 comments:

Prashant said...

I agree with you on the resume front.. All these days I've always maintained a "CV", which after bloody machete work would not go under 5 pages.

Then one day I decided to write a resume for a business school. It took me the better part of a week, and trust me - the technical parts which were an important part of my CV were nowhere to be found.

My opinion - write the best 3-4 achievements of each job, give higher weightage to items that can be quantified.

Also, do a good research on possible templates to use - so that you get maximum space to fill in the details.

Prashant said...

ATB dude... For Cornell as well as ISB.

MBAlmighty said...

Thanks Prashant.... yea it took some serious thought. I had my resume ready earlier (need it in this horrid economy!), but had to make so many edits to make it more layman-friendly! :)

Thanks, and good luck for ISB results! May you get your "zabardast ghumaav"!!! :)