October 20, 2008

To all ISB R1 interviiew shorlisted candidates...

I need some information!

From your ISB essay experience, can you please share your thoughts about the following?
  1. Did you include an explanation about "Why MBA?", "Why ISB?" and "Why now?" anywhere in the essays?
  2. If you did, then where did you put these thoughts?

Certainly none of this can be mentioned in the River Zumba essay. Also, since you have already made it to ISB as per Essay 2 (Presidents speech), it wouldnt make sense there either.

That leaves Essay 1 and the optional essay. I have already composed Essay 1, and somehow I havent been able to get these thoughts across there, with the word-limit constraints and also trying to distiingusih myself. Maybe I can use the optional essay for this purpose - BUT would it be okay? As in, if the sole purpose of the optional essay is to explain resume gaps etc, then I dont want to get on ISB's wrong side! :(

Any thoughts? It would be helpful to understand how all successful folks have done it.

Thanks,
MBAlmighty

10 comments:

Prashant said...

No, I did not include any of these in any essay at all - I am rather hoping that they ask about this. I feel that I would do a better job of speaking about this rather than squeezing it in a few sentences. So even if they don't bring this topic up, I will do my best to do so :)

On the other hand, I have made references to my long term goal in the Speech essay.

Prashant said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Prashant said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
MBAlmighty said...

Thanks Prashant. That really eases my nerves. You are right - sometimes I feel it is better not to state it than to squeeze it within 10-20 words only. It certainly wont sound convincing, rather sounds like I am forcefully putting it in.

How about the optional essay? Did you use it at all?

Prashant said...

No, I did not use the optional essay. In hindsight, I could have - I thought about a few areas after I submitted the app :(

Hey there seems to be some problem with the net at my place... Would you please delete the duplicate comments from me?

MBAlmighty said...

Thanks Prashant. Yes I have been debating about it, but from your experience it looks like it isnt necessary to use it, unless there is something important to share.

All the best for your interview tomorrow!!! Let us know how it goes!

Ashwanth said...

The ISB essays don't really give you the luxury of stating your goals and reasons for choosing them.

I left them a sniff of what I'd like to become in the first essay. In fact I ended my first essay stating my goals and how the three differentiating factors will help me achieve them...felt that'll be a strong and positive way to end an essay. The adcom can (and I hope they do) quiz me on my goals during the interview, if I am shortlisted.

Don't use the optional essay to discuss your goals...would be a wrong thing to do. Use the optional essay only for explaining excruciating circumstances or elaborating on additional information. For instance, I used the essay to elaborate on the 18 months of internships, that include international exposure, that I have.

HTH

MBAlmighty said...

Ashwanth,
Thats a pretty solid point you make. I guess using your strengths together to make a case for your goals is a good way to end the essay.

And yeah, I thought as much about the optional essay not to be used as a mechanism for explaining goals. But I somehow had the hunch I read on pagalguy about Mr. Menon saying it is okay to do so. ill recheck there.

I guess you should be hearing soon - The Hyd list is next right? Good Luck!

Ashwanth said...

Thanks mate!

The Hyd list should be out by the 25th.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://garciniacambogiaselectz.weebly.com]
garcinia cambogia benefits[/url] is the rout obese burning wrest readily obtainable in hawk now a days. Yield upto 10 kg in 1 month. garcinia cambogia select